Thursday, October 10, 2013

Ethics of Digital Games


In order to know more about the ethics of digital games, we have
watched the documentary, Gamer Revolution. And by watching it, I discovered a lot of useful thoughts about digital game.

In discussing the advantages of digital games, there are a couple
of ideas. Playing digital games can be somehow educational, individuals can learn complex things in life. For example, playing SIMS may be able to learn things of society and human relationship. Instead of learning from books, learning from games can be more concrete and easier to understand and perceive. Also, playing games can give a sense of accomplishment because individuals have to complete missions to pass the game. And being a successful game player can even help build the future career path, since playing games can develop skills like strategic skills, concentration and typing speed.

There was a particular example raised by the programme, which was a shooting game developed by the country to recruit army. In this case, the game can act as a communication tool that was connecting the young generation with the army society. But, some may concern the misconception that can be created by playing such game as the danger of game. Individuals may be lost between the reality and the virtual game, thinking violence is something fun.

In the film, a researcher found that playing violent game can
have an effect on the brain activity of aggressiveness. And some games  would encourage racial discrimination. But, for me, I do not think there is any direct relationship between games and aggressiveness in real world. On the contrary, digital world can be a platform for people to alleviate their stress because they can do something that cannot be done in reality. I believe that most people are rational. They would choose to show their discontent in the games but they know they should not behave like that in the real world. If there is no game, the situation would be worse as
people cannot release their anger and may result in aggressive action eventually.

Government should be responsible of monitoring the game industry.
Setting age restriction should be the basic one. Children should not
be exposed to games that contain severe violence or pornography. As they may not have the ability of rational thinking, they can be easily affected and causing negative impact on their values. But I do not really think banning game is necessary since adult will be able to judge and think whether there is anything wrong in the game.

4 comments:

  1. linda :
    your points are clear and your view is what I agree with . I donot think any government should be invovled in game markrt eiher. But how do you like the age restrctions? you know, teenagers might not that sensible as adults . Is there any regulations needed for this ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janice comments: I think your ideas are in detail and I can see that you have paid attention on watching the documentary. I like your arguement on which videogames do not directly arouse real violence. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elbe:
    I see your point there which is clear and in detail. However, as you mentioned above, there should be something to do by government so as to avoid the misconception leading by video games. But it is work for people? Because originally those games are actually produced by some adults who may somehow did misconception also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ella Man :
    you essay is well constructed and detail. It is true that people is rational and they have ability to define which is real. But, the the game developer should bear the responsibility to stop affect the teenagers mind.

    ReplyDelete